I love to solve problems.
As a creative director, graphic designer, and artist, I use a toolbox of skills to produce creative solutions for my clients’ needs just about every day.
I approach projects the same way MacGyver approaches a sticky situation: with optimism.
Visual Designer | LUMA Institute
May 2017 — Present
- human-centered design instructor: instructs others in the LUMA System of Innovation, a taxonomy of design thinking methods and exercises; leads and facilitates design thinking workshops across the country; and empowers organizations to innovate every day.
- iterative product development: collaborates with colleagues in the Design & Development team to develop new products and experiences for LUMA Institute; utilizes design thinking methods and processes like Google Sprint to rapidly solve problems; oversees the creation of a product from idea to delivery.
- visual designer: produces impactful marketing campaigns that support the strategic goals of LUMA Institute, builds awareness of the company’s products and services through video and digital advertisements, and expands the brand through targeted social media campaigns.
- animation and video production: crafts meaningful and significant marketing videos for LUMA that creates leads and empowers more individuals; invents and discovers new techniques to communicate messaging through animation and traditional filmmaking; and tells compelling stories that lead to longer watch-times and fewer bounces.
Creative Director & Graphic Designer | Arcade Comedy Theater
January 2013 – Present
- large-scale planning: launched the city’s only non-profit theater dedicated to comedy in a retail storefront in the heart of the Cultural District.
- organization and communication: schedule and coordinate the theater’s weekly performance schedule, resulting in over 300 shows a year and managing a creative staff of over a dozen volunteers and over 75 performers.
- brand identity: developed a brand identity that is instrumental in the theater’s success. Created a unified look and message; a cohesive interior design; a complete website build-out; and print marketing all on a shoe-string budget.
- campaign direction and implementation: initiated long-term advertising campaigns from concept to ad buy that have resulted in over 14,000 visitors annually. Formulated short-term fundraising campaigns that have netted thousands of dollars in donations over a 24-hour period.
- content creation: showcased the theater through independent film projects; photo shoots; and collaborations with local artists to create professional, creative content.
Freelance Design & Filmmaking
2007 – Present
- independent experience: consulted clients throughout the Pittsburgh area, including interior design for the Pittsburgh Penguins; branding for Pittsburgh Dad, Quinn Brewing Company, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, and Quigley Catholic High School; promotional projects for the Hollywood Theater in Dormont, The Improv, and the Tribune-Review; and television specials and documentary shorts for WQED-Pittsburgh.
- award winning: “Of Duckpins and Destinies,” a 7-minute documentary produced for WQED-Pittsburgh, was a Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award for best Sports/Entertainment Special in 2016. “The Comedy Confluence,” a 30-minute documentary special for WQED-Pittsburgh, was nominated for an Emmy as well as a 2017 Golden Quill Award.
- consistency in work: reliably meets quick deadlines and develops longer, large-scale projects all within consideration of various budgets and audiences.
Graphic Designer | BrabenderCox
April 2007 — March 2016
- digital and social media design: constructed, designed, and implemented effective campaigns as the primary designer for a diverse portfolio of sports, entertainment, healthcare, and political clients.
- ad campaign development: collaborated with a multidisciplinary staff to develop advertising concepts that could be adapted across film, print, and digital campaigns; creating targeted ads for Facebook and Twitter; and responsive web and mobile design.
- art direction: executed film and photo shoots, collaborating with videographersand freelance photographers to ensure a quality product in a time-sensitive environment.
- client presentations: composed presentations and headed meetings with clients and upper-level management, creating high-impact Keynote and printed materials to pitch ideas and land new business.
- project management: delivered, reliably, every time. Never missed a deadline in nine years, no matter the timeframe, budget restrictions, or lack of knowledge on a particular subject.
- Adobe CC
- After Effects
- Apple Keynote
- Microsoft Office
- Photography — film & digital
- Audio Recording & Mixing
- Facebook Ads
- Google AdWords
- Illustration & fine art
- Acting and improvisation
- Creative Writing
Seton Hill University
Bachelor of Fine Arts (summa cum laude)
Major: Graphic Design
Minor: Creative Writing
michael.rubino AT gmail.com